Tuesday, 12 October 2010

objectify - FINISHED!

Finally got all my 'Objectify' work finished! I ended up having a few more than the 25 reps needed, which makes me feel better and a tad less stressed! But, as ever, this doesn't mean I can stop (I'm still getting used to actually working and thinking on a daily basis after the summer off!) and it's on to the next part of the project: Deify!

Deify means to worship or regard as a God, so our seemingly simple objects, that have significant meaning to us, but not so much to anyone else have to become God-like, so that in our final part of the Visual Communication project, which is Glorify, we actually get to invite people to come to these shrines that we are to make for our objects.

I'm really looking forward to this part, because it means we get to make something quite conceptual, and place meaning behind all sorts of different things. Tonight I'm going to research some fire places, as this is my first idea for "deifying" my object. My idea is that we burn things as offerings, and so this fireplace will be the shrine, just as it is the centrepoint of Nan and Grandad's living room. Hopefully, thinking on to the 'Glorify' part of the project, I could ask people to visit this shrine and place offerings to burn, almost like an iconic religious symbol. So that's my plan of action for tonight, and hopefully through my research I might be able to progress this basic idea, if not, I'm sure we'll discuss it in a group crit session.